SACNASP is the legislated regulatory body for natural science practitioners in South Africa. The natural sciences encompass a wide range of scientific fields covering all of the basic sciences and many of their applied derivatives. For a complete list of the current fields of practise recognised by SACNASP, please click here.
Our mission is to establish, direct, sustain and ensure a high level of professionalism and ethical conscience amongst our scientists. Their conduct should be internationally acceptable and in the broad interest of the community as outlined in the SACNASP Code of Conduct.
SACNASP’s main objectives are to:
- Promote the practice of the natural science professions in South Africa.
- Ensure and administer the mandatory registration of natural scientists as required in terms of The Natural Scientific Professions Act of 2003.
- Exercise control over the standard of conduct of professional natural scientists.
- Monitor the standard of education and training of natural scientists.
- Set standards for the recognition of education and training of natural scientists.
- Ensure that prospective registrants meet the educational standards required for registration.